Rewarding your puppy with food treats for good behavior is a fun and effective way to train. The best puppy treats are irresistibly yummy, easy to break (or small: pea-sized), easy to carry (not greasy or crumbly) and healthy. For puppies and for dogs with sensitive stomachs it is best to stick to treats with simple ingredients that are easy to digest such as low fat meats (chicken, etc). Don't forget to feed your puppy less of his or her regular food when you feed treats. Here is what to look for when picking out the best treats for puppies.
Best Treats for Puppies- Ingredients to Avoid
When looking for treats for your pup, avoid these problem ingredients:
- Corn and wheat gluten- These ingredients are in many commercial treats and dog foods. A dog's digestive systems is not made to properly digest grains.
- Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)- According to the National Institute of Health, BHT was found to cause hepatic and renal damage in male rats and hepatic toxic effects in both male and female rats. Additionally, rats who were fed BHT showed an increase in liver weight and less activity of many hepatic enzymes. When BHT was applied to the skin, studies showed lung toxicity. This chemical was also found to adversely affect the humoral immune response in animals. A lowered immune response, makes clearing up coat and skin issues a nightmare.
- Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA)- According to DogFoodAdvisor.com, the National Health Institute has found that BHA is a cancer-causing agent.
- Blue 2, Yellow 5 and 6, Red 40 and 4-MIE food dyes- Skip the pretty food dyes as they are attributed to a host of issues including but not limited to hypersensitivity reactions, cancer and behavior problems. 4-methylimidazole (4-MIE) causes cancer in animals.
- Ethoxyquin- This has been found by Dr. Gloria Dodd, DVM, to be highly toxic to animals. Yet, it's used as a preservative in many dog foods and treats. Other issues included shortness of lifespan, problems whelping and liver cancer.
- Rendered fat- Rendered fat is probably the least dangerous to your dog, but it is still dangerous. It ay contain heavy metals and other toxins and microorganisms such as salmonella flourish in it. And, if a bag of treats or dog food gets wet, the rendered fat can cause mold and harmful bacteria to form.
- Propylene glycol (PG)- This chemical is used to absorb water in food. It can affect your dog's renal system and skin, and could cause issues with the dog's respiratory system. The chemical, according to The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, is “generally recognized safe” for food usage. However, it is used in the paint and plastic industry and is used to make polyester compounds.
Best Treats for Puppies- Why SimpleWag Dog Treats Are Best For Your Pup
We share dog owners concerns about what goes into their pets bodies. That's why we are very proud to produce and sell our own brand of gluten free all-natural dog treats! SimpleWag's dog treats are handmade in small batches right here in the USA. Our treats are all-natural, as well as gluten and grain free. Are you tired of not knowing, or being able to pronounce what's in your dog’s treats? SimpleWag's treats only contain 5 total ingredients: peanut butter, sweet potatoes, potato flour, flax-seed oil, and eggs. That's it, simple, all-natural, and healthy dog treats for those tired of mass produced dog treats found in most stores. Switching to SimpleWag treats may be the first step in giving your puppy a healthy start to life.
Best Treats for Puppies- SimpleWag's Ingredients
At SimpleWag, we have one goal: Create healthy products your puppy will flip for! But don’t worry, you won’t need a PhD in chemistry to read our labels. Instead, our treats contain five easy-to-pronounce, all-natural ingredients:
- Peanut Butter (a top pick amongst dogs nationwide, our peanut butter is jam-packed with immune system enhancing vitamins and minerals)
- Sweet Potatoes (great for pets with a sensitive stomach, sweet potatoes are both easily digestible and stuffed with bone and teeth strengthening calcium)
- Potato Flour (rich in carbs and vitamins, potato flour acts as a great source of all natural energy while protecting your pets from the inside out)
- Flaxseed Oil (loaded with plant-based Omega-3s, flaxseed protects your puppies heart while giving them a rich, luscious coat of fur)
- Cage Free Eggs (protein to keep your pet full of energy and as strong as can be!)